Friday, September 5, 2008

Herrlich Reunion, +4 days

Greetings:

Our reunion has come and gone. And, I for one, believe that it was definitely well worth all of the time and effort that went into it. It still amazes me that I actually got the opportunity to spend time with so many people that mean so much to me. I truly feel sorry for those who were unable to attend. I am indebted to each and every one of you who sacrificed the time and expense to make the trip. You all contributed in making the reunion a truly memorable weekend.

The reunion reminded me of something that Henry Ford once said, "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress but working together is success." It was clear that our successes working together created a bond among us that the years could not change. Almost forty years later, it was like we had never been apart. The years may have changed our bodies but, our love for one another clearly lives on. Must be that old Herrlich Spirit. It was really refreshing to see that the present camp staff is carrying on the same Spirit.

Our reunion attendees were:
Chaplin Colonel Ruben Colon, 1967-70, from Maryland
Linda Larsen DeLong, 1969, and husband, Tom, from Pennsylvania
Carol Duehne Dunn, camper 1966-71, from New Jersey
Eleanor Duehne Harrold, camper 1965-7, staff 1970-3, and daughter, Stacy, New York
Karen Duehne Aromando, camper 1966-70, staff 1971-5, from New York
Kenny Duehne, camper 1968-72
Debbie Negro Gainor, 1971, from Louisiana
Bob Gundersen, Camp Director 1970-1, and wife, Nancy, from New York
Norma Olsen Levett, 1968 from North Carolina
Phil Olsen, 1970-2, from Maryland
Gloria Pabon, 1969-70, and husband, Elmer Santiago, from New York
Ralph Palumbo, 1965, 1967-70, and wife, Nellie, from New York
Steve Perge, 1969-72, from New York
Ruth Heins Phillips, 1970, and husband, Alan, from Connecticutt
Pat Petersen Puchalski, 1968-9, from Ohio
Judy Elevick Reilly, 1967-69, from Maryland
Karen Kangas Repka, 1968-70, and husband, Charles, from New Jersey
Pastor Ed Wiker, Camp Director 1962, 1967-9, and wife, Rene, from New Jersey
Tyrone Wims, 1968-70, from Pennsylvania
Warner Wims, 1968, from California
Hector Maldonado, 1967-72(?), from Ohio
Louis Clausen, 1962, and wife, Barbara, from New York
Jim Lindsey, 1968-71, from Indiana

I am confident that I can say on behalf of all the attendees, a big thank you to Bob Gentile for all that he did to make our reunion the success that it was. Not only did he provided the use of the camp free of charge, but he went out of his way to help us at every turn and he made sure that everything went smoothly. Then, there was the food. I can honestly say that through the years I have been to a lot of camps but, none of them ever served better food.

I want you all to be aware that the camp is in dire need of our financial assistance. There are two major projects that must be addressed so that the camp can continue it's mission. The lake is in need of an immediate dredging and the dining hall has deteriorated to the point where it desparately needs to be replaced. I would ask that you seriously consider making a contribution. Every dollar counts. The LSS and the churches can no longer be counted on to provide the necessary funding. Let's make sure that the Camp Herrlich experience can continue to brighten the lives of as many children as possible. Please give what you can.

Peace, Love,

Big Jim

7 comments:

jreilly85 said...

1I think Jim has said it all.

But, for me, I never, ever expected to find you all back in my life at this stage of the game.

What a blessing it was to know that the affection, admiration, and respect we had for each other all those years ago is still intact. And how we loved that little camp and all those amazing campers.

Thank you, Pastor Wiker, for bringing the home movies. They were amazing.

Also, not many people have the chance to go back and connect the dots between their past and present lives, so that was an additional treasure I never expected to stumble on now.

I floated through this past week since the reunion (was it just last week?) and, actually, I'm still glowing.

Now that we have this blog, and each others' e-mail, let's try to stay in touch. It will be interesting to see where life continues to take us.

Love to all of you always,

Judy Elevick Reilly

Norma Jean (Olsen) Levett said...

The thought came to me after being at CH last weekend. Does the camp make us who we are or do we make the place? I think a combination of both. I spoke to some of the staff from this year and they all seemed to be transformed like we were. Gosh, it was so good to see all of you and be at Herrlich together. We are forever young there. It is a place filled with so much love that you can't help but feel good being there.
Email was made for us to keep in touch. Please do. I plan to do so. You are all in my heart and prayers. And always in my thoughts. Keep smiling! See you online.
God's peace and love to you all and mine, too.
Norma Jean (Olsen) Levett

Linda DeLong said...

Now that I figured out how to use this blog system, let me say how much it meant to me to see Camp Herrlich again and all of you. Camp was a highlight of my life. Thanks to Big Jim for getting this reunion together - a trip back in time! Those memories are truly priceless.

Unknown said...

Jim, Judy, and Norma, you all said what is in my heart so eloquently. I forgot how much Camp Herrlich affected my life and who I am...you were (and are) a part of "me" ..It was great reminiscing with all of you who were fortunate enough to be able to attend! Thank you, Pastor Wiker for the home movies -- I didn't even know that they existed! Now my husband Charlie has a better understanding of that special time in my life! Thank you Jim, Tyrone, and Ralph, for making this reunion weekend possible!
Let's keep the communication going..Herrich Peace, Karen Kangas Repka

Elly Duehne Harrold said...

I want to thank Big Jim for giving me an opportunity to go back in time. Seeing Judy (my favorite counselor!) and Ruben again was like finding a lost treasure. Hector - you haven't changed, and I can't wait for some information on when your band will be playing where I can come to hear them in person. And Steve - thanks for all those pictures you had to share - and so organized, too!

I truly believe that Camp Herrlich played a huge part in framing the person I am today. Something I have been able to share with my two daughters Samantha (15) and Sarah (12).

I hope each of us is able to make a donation, no matter how small, to support the efforts of keeping Herrlich alive. There are many children out there who need the Camp Herrlich experience in their lives - both as campers and young staff.

Peace and Love to All of You.
Let's keep in touch.

CH (COL) Ruben D. Colon said...

Due to my own neglect, most of my 1966 school year was spent working hard on subjects I had previously failed, and was very tired. So that summer, like most youngsters that age, all I wanted to do was kick back for six weeks, and relax. That was short lived as my father had already set up my interview, through Lutheran Social Services, for a position as camp counselor at Camp Wilbur Herrlich. I begrudgingly attended and feared my summer would be a waist of time. The last thing I wanted to do was go to take care of kids and get paid next to nothing for what I thought would be a boring job. But it turned out to be a beginning lesson that God has used too often in my life. He has a sense of humor, and often loves playing the old “Switch-a-rue” on me. For what I thought would be one boring summer turned out to be a defining moment unlike any known since. And for three subsequent summers, I kept going back to Herrlich to prolonging that wonderful initial experience. Herrlich changed my life, and it was where I found purpose and meaning. It was due in large part to the children I loved and worked with, but more importantly, due to lasting friendships established with the staff who encouraged and mentored me. This pass reunion reaffirmed that all over again in wonderful manner. It was another defining moment. Although a little grayer around the edges, and a wrinkle here and there, the Herrlich staff who made that reunion, for those few hours, embraced, and made it seem like forty years had never existed. I finally realized, as I’m often the last one to do so, that Herrlich as a place didn't hold anything magical, instead for all its remarkable beauty that the camp continues to hold, it was all about the folks whom were there, the children and staff that made it special. It was providential that the Almighty brought us together then and did so again this summer. Thank you for meaning so much to me back then, and now. The marvel of the Herrlich Spirit has had its spell on me through you, and without you, Herrlich would be just an ordinary place. Thanks to all of you who made those long trips, if just to share in a kind word, a laugh or two, and recall those precious days. Your kindness is still golden. I can’t say enough to Jim, and the gratitude for all his hard work in bring it all together. He has become the Patron Saint of Camp Herrlich. Once again, thanks for the wonderful experience that still continues. Ruben

Unknown said...

Ruben -- How beautifully expressed!
Amen!!
I love you all, Herrlich friends!
Karen