Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Camp Herrlich Reunion, -38 Days

Greetings:

I remember growing up listening to WBLS, the New York City radio station that exclusively played soul music. They featured a disc jockey, the late Frankie Crocker, who was known not only for playing the best music but, for being one of the smoothest talkers anywhere. I particularly recall a few lines he used most nights when he signed off. "May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live." He would follow that with: "If you should live a hundred years, let me live a hundred years minus a day, so I would never have to know that people as nice as you ever passed away." It's been over thirty years since I last heard him say those words. Last night, I was reminded of them when Ralph Palumbo gave me the unfortunate news that another one of our former Herrlich staffers, 1971 lifeguard, Kathie Kerr Belscher, had gone on to glory. We have no further details at this time. Please join me in offering a prayer for her and her family and for Rev. Gerry Gengenbach's wife who is ill.

With the Herrlich reunion looming in the not so distant future, I have been spending a lot more time than I should reminiscing about those relatively carefree times we shared so long ago. I can still remember the optimistic feelings that we could do anything, like they were yesterday. A couple minutes later, my mind will wander back into the present from wondering what became of all that seemingly unlimited energy to dealing with my aging body's aches and pains, diet restrictions, forced exercise, and even mortality. None of us knows how much more time we have or what ailments we might acquire. Please take advantage of your opportunities as they come along. In all likelihood, this will be our last reunion. I simply can't imagine having either the time or energy to do this again. Even though it's been almost forty years, I have found that when I have talked to most of you, the years disappear, the friendships that we developed way back when seem like they were only yesterday. We have a bond that has withstood the test of time. How can you bypass your last chance to spend time with people that mean so much to you? If you can make it to the reunion, please do it.

We need to give a big thanks to Ralph Palumbo who is taking the time to call people about the reunion. Between us, at this point, the following people are planning to attend: Norma (Hanauer) Martin, Rev. Ruben Colon, Norma (Olsen) Levett, Tyrone Wims, Karen(Kangas) Repka, Rev and Rene Wiker, Ralph Palumbo, Rev. Gerry Gengenbach, Judy (Elevick) Reilly, Rev. Ralph Midtlyng, Gloria Pabon, Linda (Larson) DeLong, Kristi Vaiden, Bob and Nancy Gundersen, Ruth (Heins) Phillips, Phil Olsen, Eleanor Duehne and her sisters, Deborah (Negro) Griner, Clay Reasor (director in 1972-3), and me. Only about a dozen people have told us that they will definitely not be attending. This means that we have yet to hear anything either way from over thirty of you! We hope that many of you will find it in your hearts to join us. Please take the time today to let us know one way or the other!

Peace. Love,

"Big Jim" Lindsey



2 comments:

jreilly85 said...

Let's hear it for Jim Lindsay, who is putting us all back together and making us remember that we were indeed young, energetic and optimistic once!

See you all at this remarkable little gathering at Herrlich!

Judy Reilly

Kathy Stange said...

"I remember" seems to be in my vocabulary a lot these days. I remember mold growing on my shoes from all the rain that summer! What a great experience for this Iowa farm girl to be working with city kids. Skills I learned that summer have helped me throughout my teaching career.

I wish I could be there, but the cost of travel just doesn't allow it. I'll be with you in spirit!

Kathy Miller Stange